As specialists in the education sector we act for the many different types of academies – MAT, SAT, free schools, studio schools and a UTC.
We are fully conversant with Companies and Charities Acts legislation relating to academies, along with an understanding of the requirements of the ESFA.
This expertise is based on our knowledge gain whilst working with academies for over 12 years. Originally for sponsored academies (under the Labour administration) through to new types, converted free school, sponsored studio school and a UTC.
During that time we have not only assisted with the yearly compliance matters but also helped with:
- Assisting with the conversion process
- Management accounts including cashflow management
- Establishing the correct structure to minimise potential tax liabilities
- Undertaking due diligence for schools joining new trusts or on behalf of the trusts taking on new schools
- Review of VAT requirements and assistance with the returns
- Preparation of budget forecast returns
- Liaising with the ESFA
Our academy team is lead by three partners who are supported by 4 managers who have nine teams which work onsite.
Our comprehensive range of services include:
- Preparation of Charity SORP, Companies Act and ESFA compliant financial statements
- Audit of the year-end financial statements
- Preparation of the Academies Annual Return (AAR)
- Annual audit of the AAR
- Preparation of management accounts for reporting to governors/trustees
- Internal assurance reports lead by an internal auditor
- Budgeting, whether for internal use or for reporting to the ESFA
- Audit of teachers pension scheme
- Assistance with VAT returns or S126 returns
- Trustee training
- Assistance and advice with academy specific accounting systems
- Preparation and audit of school fund accounts
- Design and monitoring of internal control and finance systems
- IT support, including design of new systems, whether financial or otherwise
- Payroll services
Academies Benchmark Report
What can we offer you as one of our Academies clients?
- Proactive advice on what is happening in your sector
- Assistance with your accounting requirements. e.g. in-year reporting, year end financial statements and the auditing requirements of the Charities and Companies Acts
- Ensuring your trustees/governors understand the financial implications of decisions
- Help with the preparation of various reports required by the ESFA
- Help you to monitor your financial position. e.g. cash flows and budgeting
- Support with minimising costs regarding VAT and PAYE whilst maximising claims through our specialist tax advisers
Why can we help?
- We have a specialist education team. Henceforth, you will be able to take advantage of their knowledge and experience
- We have significant experience of dealing with the unique issues facing academies
- We have a practical understanding of the current matters that concern you. Significantly, this is because we are school governors ourselves
We have recognised the links between education and business have become even stronger. In summary, we believe that we can help bring a sound commercial approach to our education clients.
Macmillan Academy have had a close working relationship with Chris Beaumont and his team for a number of years, and we have been delighted with the support we have received. The team’s proven track record in the field of Academy and Charity accounting has benefited us on numerous occasions. They are always on hand for assistance, and their advice in relation to the Charity SORP, Charities Act and VAT issues has been of particular assistance.
J McCallum, Deputy Principal at Macmillan Academy